Here are a couple of my personal tips for travelling with a toddler.
(Work in progress)
• Weigh EACH bag and ensure they are not overweight.
Even if you are travelling as a family – check in counters will take the weight of each bag and not pool them together. We stood at the check in counter and had to balance the bags weights. People were able to see everything from my underwear to the bottle of maple syrup I was taking as a gift. Humbling!
• Carry-on Bags – I had a HUGE carry on for Mini Me – but it also contained the essentials for flying with a 2 year old.
– Diapers (They said one for every hour you are on the plane)
– Bottles and Formula (pre-measure in a smaller container, pack the large can in your check luggage)
– Change of clothes (for all of us)
– Medication for all (Tylenol, Advil, Benadryl, Gravol etc)
– Dollar Store Treats (paint books, play doh, a new doll, some lego etc)
– Favorite toy, blankie etc
• The Stroller – If your kid hates a stroller – don’t bother. Your kid is not suddenly going to be like “Oh wow – this is awesome”. If they prefer to be carried, walk, run or enjoy a sling – use what works. Don’t doubt yourself or your child. In the end it was more of a pain in the ass than a help. Sure it helped carry our carry-on bags – but it also kept tipping over from the unbalanced weight – which was more annoying and really just ended up being one more thing to worry about.
• The Long Layover – If you can find a lounge in the airport you can buy into. Not only can you be confined in once place with your little one. You also get food, drinks and really clean washrooms.
Here are some links I found useful in tracking a paying lounge. Some airlines and rewards programs also have access to certain lounges.
To be Continued…..
PLEASE ALSO CHECK OUT THIS AMAZING SITE FOR MORE GREAT TIPS –